Open Burning

Open burning in Yuba and Sutter Counties must be done in accordance with the FRAQMD Regulation II - Open Burning.  This Regulation applies to both Agricultural, Non-Agricultural, and Residential Open Burning.

On August 5, 2016, the Sacramento Valley Basin Control Council (BCC) approved a one year test period to modify the burn management zones for both Yuba and Sutter counties to test the changes prior to enacting amendments to the Sacramento Valley Smoke Management Program. All burn permit holders will be notified of the burn zone changes and to invited to comment on the changes. If you have comments, please provide them in writing to the District Office anytime during the test period (August 6, 2016 to August 5, 2017.)

Currently in Sutter County there are two areas with burn restrictions, the Sutter Buttes Burn Ban and the Sacramento Federal Ozone Nonattainment Area. While in Yuba County the State Responsibility Area/US Forest Service jurisdiction suspends open burning each year. These areas shall now be referred to as the following Burn Zones:

  •  Zone 7 in Sutter County will follow the boundary set forth by the Sutter County Fire Agency for the seasonal Sutter Buttes Burn Ban. The affected area is that which lies inside the following: West Butte Road, North Butte Road, Powell Road, Pennington Road, Township Road, Clark Road, East Butte Road, Ahlf Road, Mallott Road, Butte House Road, Oak Street, Butte Avenue, Griffith Lane, and Walnut Avenue to South Butte Road.
  • Zone 6 in Sutter County will move north to Subaco Road. It will tie into the Yolo County Line to the west and to confluence of the Bear River and Feather River to the east. It will follow the Feather River south to the Sacramento County line. Burn Zone 6 will now coincide with the boundaries of the Sacramento Federal Ozone Nonattainment Area. Sutter County Burn Zone 5 will follow the Feather River south to the Sacramento County line and Placer County line to the east.
  • Zone 4 in Yuba County shall be added and coincide with the boundaries of the State Responsibility Area (SRA) and under Cal Fire and US Forest Service Jurisdiction. No Burning will be allowed in Yuba Zone 4 while Cal Fire burn permits are suspended for the season.

 If you have any questions on the one year test period or burn zone changes, please contact Judy Harlow at (530) 634-7659 extension 207. 

Sutter County Burn Zones effective 8/5/2016Yuba County Burn Zones effective 8/5/2016Burn Zone Changes Letter to Permit Holders.pdf



Agricultural Open Burning

In order to conduct agricultural open burning, you must first obtain a Burn Permit.  Burn Permits can be obtained from the FRAQMD office.  Once you have a valid Burn Permit you must call FRAQMD at 530-634-7659 ext 201 to obtain the daily Burn Day Status and log the burn.  The daily Burn Day Status is uploaded to this website as a courtesy; however the official status is obtained by phone.  For questions regarding Agricultural Open Burning please contact the FRAQMD Burn Coordinator Judy Harlow at (530) 634-7659 ext 207.  


Residential Open Burning

Residential open burning may be allowed depending on the location of the property.  For valley floor locations, residential burn days are Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.  For Calfire and USFS jursidictions (Burn Zone 4 Yuba County), and Sutter Butte locations (Burn Zone 7 Sutter County), there are seasonal burn bans that may also be in effect.  Please check the Burn Day Status page to see if the burn ban is in effect.  Refer to the maps above to determine your Burn Zone.


Non-Agricultural Open Burning

Under certain instances like disease prevention, fire training, disposal of Russian Thistle, and other special circumstances a non-agricultural burn permit may be required. Contact the FRAQMD if you have questions on non-agricultural open burning.