The Blue Sky Program Request for Proposals is open until October 16th, 2017.Request for Proposals
A public workshop will be held at 10:00 am on Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, at the FRAQMD office located at 541 Washington Avenue in Yuba City.
Background Information On Blue Sky Program
The District receives a portion of the annual vehicle registration fees ($4) from the Department of Motor Vehicles through legislation authorized under Assembly Bill 2766 (Sher, 1990). The AB 2766 program provides incentive funding for projects that reduce onroad and offroad motor vehicle pollutant emissions (mainly oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and to a lesser extent particulate matter (PM10)). Examples of successful projects may include:
- Awarding the difference in cost of replacing (repowering) an old dirty diesel engine with a new cleaner emitting diesel or alternative fueled engine.
- Projects that reduce vehicle trips and vehicle miles traveled (VMT) such as bicycle lanes, vanpools, shuttles and transit buses and associated infrastructure.
- New "alternative fueled" vehicles including natural gas powered school buses, street sweepers, and transit buses.
- Educational programs designed to educate the general public about mobile source emission reduction strategies.
- Liquefied and compressed natural gas or electric vehicle infrastructure projects.
Funding may also be allocated for District related programs, including land use and transportation planning, monitoring, enforcement, and technical studies necessary for implementation of the California Clean Air Act.
Section 44225 of the Health and Safety Code (AB 923), amended in 2004, authorized the District to increase the motor vehicle registration fee to $6 per vehicle. The District Board of Directors approved the fee increase in December 2005. The fee increase provides funding for specific project types, which include:
New purchase of school bus pursuant to the Lower Emission School Bus Guidelines developed by the Air Resources Board.
Natural gas fuel tank replacements.
Refueling infrastructure maintenance. hi
School bus retrofits.
Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program.
For more information call Sondra Spaethe at (530) 634-7659 ext 210.
Resources for Potential Blue Sky Projects
Air Resources Board 1998 Criteria and Guidelines for the Use of Motor Vehicle Registration Fees: The Guidelines document contains the Criteria and Guidelines for the AB 2766 program. Appendix A contains examples of successful projects. Appendix B contains motor vehicle registration fee statutes.
Methodologies found in the CARB Carl Moyer program guidelines may also be used for cost-effectiveness evaluations.
IMPORTANT: Use the "load factors" found in the "Carl Moyer Program Guidelines" above, when performing calculations (or contact the District for assistance). The Moyer load factors are more current.